[jcifs] connection pool

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:11:29 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Ori <oorrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to improve performance for a task using jcifs. I would like to open
> multiple connections and pass recursively multiple dirs under a specific
> host
>
> I understand that in order to open multiple connections using the same user
> name I must do a change in the smb session. I wanted to ask:
> - is there any cifs connection pool implementation? and do you think it can
> help?
> - are there any other suggestions for improving performance?

Hi Ori,

JCIFS already multiplexes requests over the same transport if the
transport target data is the same, over the same session if the
credentials are the same and over the same tree if the share is the
same. So AFAIK this aspect of performance is already optimized.

I recently tested the performance of JCIFS (because we significantly
changed the transport locking code) by crawling over the C$ share of a
Windows 2003 server and IIRC it consistently touched every file on the
machine in under 5 seconds (after the disk cache on the server got
hot). If you're not seeing performance like that, then you have a
different problem. Crank up logging and look for errors or timeouts.

Java Active Directory Integration