[jcifs] Connection Reset during jcifs data transfer .......

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 15:34:47 MDT 2010

Hi Brian,

Strangely this problem does not come up much. I did not even recall
the "Connection Reset during jcifs data transfer" thread until you
cited it. So I don't have a good answer for you. But if you send me a
capture file I can at least confirm your VC flag diagnosis.

Mike

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Brian Bowley <bbowley at cleo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having this same problem (see "Connection Reset during jcifs data
> transfer ......." thread) with jcifs-1.3.14 connecting from a Windows XP Pro
> workstation to a Windows 2008 Server. Everything works great until something
> else in client computer accesses an SMB share (without JCIFS) on the same
> server. Then the JCIFS connection is reset by the server.
>
> Using WireShark, it appears to be a VC problem as Mike mentioned. JCIFS uses a
> VC number of 1 but the Windows OS uses a VC of 0 which resets any other
> connections. If the Windows OS already has an active connection, then JCIFS
> works OK until the Windows connection is closed and re-opened. I don't think
> there is anything that can be done in the JCIFS code itself.
>
> If it is Windows Explorer that is accessing the SMB share, then the inactive
> client connection seems to stay open for 15 minutes (which I believe is the
> default). If a program programmatically accesses the share, then the
> connection to 445 is closed very quickly (within seconds).
>
> To help with this problem, it seems it will most likely have be a change in
> the Windows configuration either on the Client side or the Server side.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this same problem and know of any
> configuration/settings that can be used to do any or all of the following:
> a) Keep the server from resetting other connections from the same IP when it
> receives a VC=0 on the Session Setup
> b) Keep the Windows OS from sending a VC=0 from the client
> c) Have the OS connection to port 445 remain open for a long period of time
> (preventing the immediate closing of the port) when access by a program other
> than Windows Explorer.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer,
> Brian

Java Active Directory Integration