[jcifs] Connection Reset during jcifs data transfer .......

Brian Bowley bbowley at cleo.com
Tue Aug 31 07:23:46 MDT 2010

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll send the packet capture directly to
you in a separate e-mail.

This capture is not the exact same scenario as stated in the start of
the thread. But it does show the problem where the server keeps
resetting the connection.

Key frames:
Frame 6 - Shows JCIFS "Session Setup AndX Request"
Frame 459 - The Windows OS is creating a session with VC Number: 0
Frame 462 - Server resets JCIFS connection
Frame 473 - JCIFS has reconnected and sends another "Session Setup AndX
Request"
Frame 5653 - The Windows OS is creating a session with VC Number: 0
Frame 5658 - Server resets JCIFS connection
Frame 5685 - JCIFS has reconnected and sends another "Session Setup AndX
Request"

There are actually several threads in our application sending
differently named files (although the contents of the files are
identical-testing purposes) with different protocols. The problem is the
OS keeps sending a "Session Setup AndX Request" with VC=0 which resets
our (JCIFS) connection. The application normally runs as a service in
the background on a PC that can be used for other purposes. So a user
could browse to a share which would cause this to happen.

The JCIFS code doesn't react well to the connection being reset (that
would be tough to do as you don't know what pending commands were
successful and which were not).

So my thoughts were either to:
a) Stop the server from resetting the connection on VC=0
b) Stop the Windows OS client from sending VC=0
c) Change the timeout so the OS connection stays open longer. However,
it seems the connection is closing very quickly.
d) Other ideas you may have

Thanks for taking a look at the WireShark capture. Let me know if you
agree with my diagnosis and if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
Brian