[jcifs] webdav / cifs server recommendations

Giampaolo Tomassoni Giampaolo at Tomassoni.biz
Tue Aug 3 02:15:34 MDT 2010

> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in what people recommend for using as a webdav server
> that has cifs servers as its store. It seems like jcifs is getting
> ongoing development, but I haven't come across any http server front ends.
> Requirements:
> - act as a translation layer for webdav <-> cifs
> - be able to talk webdav properly so that users can map a drive or mount
as a filesystem [1]
> - nice to have: web browser view of filesystem
> - must work with https
>
> We've used davenport here a bit, but it does not appear to work with
> Windows XP SP3 and/or IE and/or etc. It also seems to refuse to map a
> drive. This is desirable as it appears that Office (2003 in this case)
> will try to do its own webdav rather than using an already established
> session causing reauthentication issues. So something that is a
replacement
> for davenport that actually works would be great!

Hi Robert.

If you are looking for a Java implementation of a webdav server, have a look
at Apache Jackrabbit (http://jackrabbit.apache.org/). Note, however, that MS
clients don't match nicely with webdav, as they often try instead to
establish an SMB connection. This happens even when you clearly specify
'http://' in the URL to the shared folder...

I don't know if Jackrabbit do supports a jcifs store. It supports developing
a custom store, such that you could do it by your own.

Giampaolo