[jcifs] DFS Questions

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Jan 30 17:34:44 GMT 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:06:19 -0500
Jake Goulding <goulding at vivisimo.com> wrote:

> I have a user who is trying to access files on a DFS mount. As I
> understand it, this is a large organization and the user directories for
> everyone are stored on a DFS share. They are doing a little test of a
> directory with 4 files in it. Sometimes the directory will list,
> sometimes not. Sometimes a file will be retrieved correctly, most times not.

"sometimes" is a dirty word. Unfortunately you need to identify the
pattern more clearly. Is it occurring on the first request and then not
on subsequent requests on the same connection?

Do you have access to the customer's network? Can you devise an example
program that they can run to more clearly demonstrate the problem?

> When an exception occurs, it is always on the first remote operation
> that I use: SmbFile.exists(). The exception is:
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: The network name cannot be found.
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:514)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:614)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:277)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:233)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:154)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:798)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:768)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1195)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1277)
>

> I am not particularly familiar with DFS, so any help is greatly
> appreciated. Perhaps I need to set some options that I am unaware of?
> Maybe there is some way of telling if a server is DFS and set those
> options automatically?

Doesn't sound like the kind of problem that is fixed by setting
options. Unless maybe it's just a timeout issue.

PHP Active Directory SSO