[jcifs] DFS Questions

Jake Goulding goulding at vivisimo.com
Tue Jan 30 16:06:19 GMT 2007

I have a user who is trying to access files on a DFS mount. As I
understand it, this is a large organization and the user directories for
everyone are stored on a DFS share. They are doing a little test of a
directory with 4 files in it. Sometimes the directory will list,
sometimes not. Sometimes a file will be retrieved correctly, most times not.

When an exception occurs, it is always on the first remote operation
that I use: SmbFile.exists(). The exception is:

jcifs.smb.SmbException: The network name cannot be found.
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:514)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:614)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:277)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:233)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:154)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:798)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:768)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1195)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1277)

I am not particularly familiar with DFS, so any help is greatly
appreciated. Perhaps I need to set some options that I am unaware of?
Maybe there is some way of telling if a server is DFS and set those
options automatically?

Thanks!

-Jake