[jcifs] JCIFS and RAW Mode

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Aug 28 16:45:53 GMT 2007

Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:28:30 -0400
> "Steven Zgaljic" <szgaljic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently developing an embedded Java application and utilizing the
>> jCIFS library for the CIFS implementation. Recently a question came about
>> concerning "Raw Mode". I did research and understand this technology,
>> however, I cannot find any documentation detailing if jCIFS implements such
>> a mode. Is Raw Mode is a configurable jCIFS property? Does jCIFS rely on
>> this mode and it cannot be changed, or does it not use Raw Mode at all and
>> it's not possible?
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> Raw mode just means port 445 without the NetBIOS session establishment
> and only the length of the packet in the 4 byte header which on port
> 139 would be the NetBIOS header.
>
> By default JCIFS will try to connect to port 445 and thus operate in raw
> mode. But if that fails it falls back to 139 (e.g. because the server
> does not support 445 like NT).

...unless he means SMB_COM_READ_RAW/SMB_COM_WRITE_RAW.  Those, however, are
deprecated calls and nothing much uses them.

Chris -)-----

--
"Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem"    ISBN: 013047116X
Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/    -)-----     Christopher R. Hertel
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/    -)-----          crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/   -)-----             crh at ubiqx.org