[jcifs] JCIFS and RAW Mode

Michael B Allen miallen at ioplex.com
Tue Aug 28 14:52:19 GMT 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:28:30 -0400
"Steven Zgaljic" <szgaljic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently developing an embedded Java application and utilizing the
> jCIFS library for the CIFS implementation. Recently a question came about
> concerning "Raw Mode". I did research and understand this technology,
> however, I cannot find any documentation detailing if jCIFS implements such
> a mode. Is Raw Mode is a configurable jCIFS property? Does jCIFS rely on
> this mode and it cannot be changed, or does it not use Raw Mode at all and
> it's not possible?

Hi Steven,

Raw mode just means port 445 without the NetBIOS session establishment
and only the length of the packet in the 4 byte header which on port
139 would be the NetBIOS header.

By default JCIFS will try to connect to port 445 and thus operate in raw
mode. But if that fails it falls back to 139 (e.g. because the server
does not support 445 like NT).

PHP Active Directory Kerberos SSO