[jcifs] NTLM Ajax POST

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed May 17 02:33:04 GMT 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:58:31 -0500
"Jonathan Trumbull" <jonathan.trumbull at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> What errors are you seeing in the log files and is it consistently doing
> this?  I have observed this problem before intermittently with AJAX-type
> posts.  It seemed to be much more of a problem if there were several rapid
> asynchronous calls.

Due to the NTLM HTTP authentication protocol being a three message
handshake and coupled with the fact that there is no form of multiplex
id, if the client tries to pipeline requests the server will likely get
confused. I suspect the has nothing to do with JCIFS and you would see
it with IIS too if NTLM was negotiated.

Yet again, the solution is to use Kerberos which doesn't normally require
multiple messages. NTLM is really showing it's age :-<