[jcifs] Re: Excluding Bogus Windows Domain Controllers

Jimmy Ray jimmyraywv at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 18:50:10 GMT 2005

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:04:39 +0000 (UTC)
> Jimmy Ray <jimmyraywv <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to use NTLM filter and my WINS servers are returning an IP
> > list of 5 domain controllers, one of which is bogus.  The NT admins
> > cant/wont fix it.  My Tomcat (on Unix) app hangs as well as my test java
> > app in windows when this domain controler IP is used.  Is there any
> > setting that I can put in my web.xml to exclude the bigus IP?  If not,
> > what class do I need to modify to pull the bogus IP from the list of IPs
> > used by jcifs?
>
> First, upgrade to the latest version of jcifs because there were some
> bugs in the handling of the DC list.
>
> JCIFS should handle this automatically. When jcifs rotates to a new
> DC it tries to negotiate with it to see if it's "good". If it isn't it
> removes it from the list. This process should not "hang".
>
> Try 1.1.9 first and tell us how it goes. There are a variety of things
> you can do to make it work well all of which is documented.
>
> Mike

Ok.  I have updated to 1.1.9 and I will try that for a while.  One thing that I
noticed was that the bogus IP address was always the last run returned.  So...I
wrote an init param in the filters in the web.xml of
jcifs.netbios.lookupRespLimit = 4.  This should keep the 5th IP from showing up
and this should work as long at the sort order does not change.

I will let you all know.

Regards,

Jimmy Ray