[jcifs] Re: jarapac, idlc, and TNG

Elrond elrond at samba-tng.org
Mon Sep 27 23:06:24 GMT 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 11:19:47PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> First, I'm CCing the jCIFS mailing list. That's currently where
> idlc/jarapac is discussed. I recommend getting on that list if you want to
> follow the latest idlc developments. It might be useful if really end up
> using idlc/jarapac.

I'm currently flooded with mail and my time is also very
limited currently, but I might consider it, yes.

[...]
> > So can you setup something in this area?
>
> Yes. But I recently changed the Java emitter quite dramatically (see
> idlc-0.4.0) so I need a chance to play around with that first to verify
> that the technique is going in the right direction as it will surely
> influence the C emitter.
>
> Also I'm only willing to do a skeleton that does the simple stuff. You'll
> have to flesh it out and get all the test cases working. It's only about
> ~500 lines of code but you have to know NDR very very well to get all the
> test cases right. Is that ok with you?

skeleton is good.

Well, you're code in 0.3.* didn't handle all cases also...
so my first code will also only handle the simple stuff and
continue to more advanced stuff.

I'm currently considering to emit a bunch of macros to the
C-Code, so that the real implemenation can be done by the
runtime library through macro definitions. That looks the
most flexible to me.

Also I'm quite undecided, if the emited code should do
marshallng and unmarshalling in one function (which current
TNG code is like. it's a nice way to save some
code/symbols) or go for two functions.

For the first try, I'd think of the one function thing. The
macros would allow the same file to be compiled a second
time for the opposite direction, if one wants specific
code.

[...]
> > No problem.
> >
> > I'm actually thin[k]ing, that using a java based DCE/RPC port
> > mapper or other services on a unix box might be real fun.
>
> This doesn't sound like a really great idea to me. You really want to
> throw Java into the mix, write a Java server stub emitter for idlc, and
> duplicate all good chunk of DCE glue just for the port mapper? Again,

Well, currently available normal port mappers or other
server code is bloated also...

It's just a crazy thought...

> Jarapac is just client side right now.

I didn't notice this until your first mail.

[...]
> It's eric.glassATgm ail.com.

Is he on jcifs? if so, he might already have read this.

    Elrond