[jcifs] Re: directory must end with '/'

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Dec 9 18:56:54 GMT 2004

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> I am very interested in understanding people's points of view and ideas.
> That's how I learn.  While I would like the SMB URI scheme and it's
> implementations to be pedantically correct, I'm really not interested in
> having nit-pick wars.  The latter are degrading to everyone.
>
> I'm asking for your assistance in verifying that I'm understanding what
> you're saying.  I *want* to understand what you have to say.  I cannot ask
> questions or argue a different perspective if I don't understand the point
> you are making.  Neither can I conceede the point.

OK, my point being: I am not aware of any convention dictating this, and
in my implementation of a WebDAV server I simply don't do it. So there
are use cases where it's irrelevant and just fine to accept the URI even
though it identifies a collection.

See also
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#collections.of.web.resources>
(which ironically says that it's a convention to accept the URI, but to
return a "Content-Location" response header with the "/" appended.

Best regards, Julian