[jcifs] Re: directory must end with '/'

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Dec 9 18:49:43 GMT 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 01:20:31PM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> >You're right.  It's clearly not part of the protocol.  There is, however,
> >a convention which says that if the URL received by the web server
> >resolves to a directory on the server side, then the URL should be
> >"corrected" by adding a slash.  The "corrected" URL is then sent back to
> >the client via the redirect, as you describe below.
> >
> >So... those semantics do exist (somewhere) and they are handled--by
> >convention--by adding the slash.
> >
> >Does that description make sense?
>
> Depends on how your definition of "convention".

I am very interested in understanding people's points of view and ideas.
That's how I learn.  While I would like the SMB URI scheme and it's
implementations to be pedantically correct, I'm really not interested in
having nit-pick wars.  The latter are degrading to everyone.

I'm asking for your assistance in verifying that I'm understanding what
you're saying.  I *want* to understand what you have to say.  I cannot ask
questions or argue a different perspective if I don't understand the point
you are making.  Neither can I conceede the point.

> >>RFC2396bis
> >>(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-07.html>)
> >>obsoletes RFC2396.
> >

> >Yeah, I was aware they were working on this.  It's still a draft, but
> >there's an IETF coming up in a few months near my home so I'll probably be
> >going and should be up on this.
>
> It's not published as RFC yet, but it has been accepted for publication.
> Thus, it's not going to change anymore...

Thanks.  I'll take a look.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org