[jcifs] Re: directory must end with '/'

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Dec 9 19:21:27 GMT 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 07:56:54PM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> >I am very interested in understanding people's points of view and ideas.
> >That's how I learn.  While I would like the SMB URI scheme and it's
> >implementations to be pedantically correct, I'm really not interested in
> >having nit-pick wars.  The latter are degrading to everyone.
> >
> >I'm asking for your assistance in verifying that I'm understanding what
> >you're saying.  I *want* to understand what you have to say.  I cannot ask
> >questions or argue a different perspective if I don't understand the point
> >you are making.  Neither can I conceede the point.
>
> OK, my point being: I am not aware of any convention dictating this, and
> in my implementation of a WebDAV server I simply don't do it. So there
> are use cases where it's irrelevant and just fine to accept the URI even
> though it identifies a collection.

Thanks for the reply.  Now I think I understand your question about the
definition of "convention".  I think of a convention as something that is
commonly done, but not by design or specification.

I'll try to read the links you gave me this weekend so I can ask better
questions.  I'm also interested in Mike's current thoughts.

> See also
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#collections.of.web.resources>
> (which ironically says that it's a convention to accept the URI, but to
> return a "Content-Location" response header with the "/" appended.

Interesting...

  There is a standing convention that when a collection is referred to by
  its name without a trailing slash, the trailing slash is automatically
  appended.  Due to this, a resource may accept a URI without a trailing
  "/"  to point to a collection. In this case it SHOULD return a
  content-location header in the response pointing to the URI ending with
  the "/". For example, if a client invokes a method on
  http://foo.bar/blah (no trailing slash), the resource
  http://foo.bar/blah/ (trailing slash)  may respond as if the operation
  were invoked on it, and should return a content-location header with
  http://foo.bar/blah/ in it. In general clients SHOULD use the "/" form
  of collection names.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org