[jcifs] NTLM and Windows 2003

Marcus Crafter crafterm at managesoft.com
Fri Aug 27 15:20:03 GMT 2004

Hi Ingo,

Hope all is well.

I've experienced this as well. I found the following document:

http://ubiqx.org/cifs/SMB.html#SMB.8

(search for 2.8.9.4 Enabling and Requiring MAC Signing)

to be quite helpful.

AFAIK WK2003 requires MAC signing by default. In our environment we
disabled this (set RequireSecuritySignature to 0) so that it behaved
like the other W2K/NT machines.

Not sure if this is a possibility in your environment, but it's
something you can test to find out if MAC signing is what's preventing
your access from working.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marcus

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 11:58, Ingo Rockel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to run jcifs with Windows 2003 but with no luck so
> far. The authentication request always fails. Testing against a WinNT
> Domain Controller and Windows 2000 controller just works fine, but Win
> 2003 fails. I tried the stuff described in:
> http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html#signing but without
> any luck.
>
> According to the logs, jcifs first tries to connect with the correct
> user, without any response from the server and afterwards tries to
> connect as "guest", but without luck as this account is disabled. Any Ideas?
>
> Thanx for any help,
>
> 	Ingo
     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
     $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: