[jcifs] davenport and windows 9x web folders,mac os x

Eric eglass1 at attbi.com
Sat Jun 28 11:25:02 EST 2003

> Next I tried to connect via windows 95 web folders.  I could read files
> off a share without any problems.  I seemed to be able to delete files
> as well without any hangups.  When I tried to copy files to the share, I
> would frequently get the error message "An error occurred copying some
> or all of the selected files".  Sometimes I could get a successful copy,
> but not consistently.

I will investigate this first chance I get; I haven't (personally) seen
any issues with Win9x boxes, but there could very well be.  Most of the
testing has been done against Win2k (since that's what I have ready
access to).  As an aside, I don't know if Davenport is really on topic
for the jCIFS list -- I'll defer to Mike on that.

> Next I tried connecting to a share via Mac OS X's webdav support.  I
> connected to the share without any problems.  I could read files on the
> share without a hitch.  When I tried to copy files though, I was told
> that the share was read only.  I started looking around for the reason
> and found reference to their existing atleast two classes of webdav
> servers, class 1 that optionally support locking and class 2 that
> provides either shared and/or exclusive locking.  According to the
> webdav rfc, locking is an optional feature that must be negotiated by a
> mechanism described in the rfc.  So it appears for some reason that
> davenport is considered to be a class 1 webdav server and Mac OS X does
> not permit writing to a class 1 webdav server since their is no
> guarantee of proper locking support.
>
> Has anyone else encountered these issues in windows 9x web folders or in
> Mac OS X?
>
> Is davenport a class 1 webdav server?

Currently, Davenport is a WebDAV Level 1 server -- locking was going to
be a pain to implement, and it seemed to work pretty well without it.  I
don't have access to any Mac boxes, so I can't really test on that
platform.  I have been curious to find out if it works, though (kind of
disappointed that it doesn't, but good to know anyways).

I am going to be very busy with work/vacations over the next month or
so; I hope to do a small maintenance release of Davenport within a
couple of weeks, but probably won't get into any complex stuff until
things start to calm down in mid-late August.

Eric