[jcifs] davenport and windows 9x web folders,mac os x

Campbell, Shawn scampbell at malone.edu
Sat Jun 28 06:37:05 EST 2003

I am currently evaluating davenport for use in our network as a web
drive solution.  In my testing so far, access via a browser worked great
for both ntlm and basic authentication from IE and Mozilla.  I tried
win2k/xp webdav support next via network places and read/write access
worked flawlessly.

Next I tried to connect via windows 95 web folders.  I could read files
off a share without any problems.  I seemed to be able to delete files
as well without any hangups.  When I tried to copy files to the share, I
would frequently get the error message "An error occurred copying some
or all of the selected files".  Sometimes I could get a successful copy,
but not consistently.

Next I tried connecting to a share via Mac OS X's webdav support.  I
connected to the share without any problems.  I could read files on the
share without a hitch.  When I tried to copy files though, I was told
that the share was read only.  I started looking around for the reason
and found reference to their existing atleast two classes of webdav
servers, class 1 that optionally support locking and class 2 that
provides either shared and/or exclusive locking.  According to the
webdav rfc, locking is an optional feature that must be negotiated by a
mechanism described in the rfc.  So it appears for some reason that
davenport is considered to be a class 1 webdav server and Mac OS X does
not permit writing to a class 1 webdav server since their is no
guarantee of proper locking support.

Has anyone else encountered these issues in windows 9x web folders or in
Mac OS X?

Is davenport a class 1 webdav server?

Shawn Campbell