[jcifs] davenport and windows 9x web folders,mac os xx

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Jun 28 12:36:57 EST 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Eric wrote:

> > Next I tried to connect via windows 95 web folders.  I could read files
> > off a share without any problems.  I seemed to be able to delete files
> > as well without any hangups.  When I tried to copy files to the share, I
> > would frequently get the error message "An error occurred copying some
> > or all of the selected files".  Sometimes I could get a successful copy,
> > but not consistently.
> >

> I will investigate this first chance I get; I haven't (personally) seen
> any issues with Win9x boxes, but there could very well be.  Most of the
> testing has been done against Win2k (since that's what I have ready
> access to).  As an aside, I don't know if Davenport is really on topic
> for the jCIFS list -- I'll defer to Mike on that.

Davenport is definately on-topic on the jCIFS mailing list. A web based
front-end to jCIFS is ideal and I'd like to see it developed to it's
greatest potential. I'm willing to extend jCIFS to support everything
Shawn has described.

> > Next I tried connecting to a share via Mac OS X's webdav support.  I
> > connected to the share without any problems.  I could read files on the
> > share without a hitch.  When I tried to copy files though, I was told
> > that the share was read only.  I started looking around for the reason
> > and found reference to their existing atleast two classes of webdav
> > servers, class 1 that optionally support locking and class 2 that
> > provides either shared and/or exclusive locking.  According to the
> > webdav rfc, locking is an optional feature that must be negotiated by a
> > mechanism described in the rfc.  So it appears for some reason that
> > davenport is considered to be a class 1 webdav server and Mac OS X does
> > not permit writing to a class 1 webdav server since their is no
> > guarantee of proper locking support.
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered these issues in windows 9x web folders or in
> > Mac OS X?
> >
> > Is davenport a class 1 webdav server?
>
> Currently, Davenport is a WebDAV Level 1 server -- locking was going to
> be a pain to implement, and it seemed to work pretty well without it.  I

Did you consider that jCIFS would provide the actual locking
mechanism? The interface is not very sophisticated (see
SmbFile.FILE_NO_SHARE) but might be enhanced to better support WebDAV
locking semantics.

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.