[jcifs] Re: Printing, RPCs, and Looking Forward

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jun 18 09:27:57 EST 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 06:48:51PM -0400, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
> If I were ever too seriously look at printing (and it's not very attractive
> for reasons explained previously) I think it would have to be based on
> RPC mechanisms. Using RPCs for all of this stuff (not just printing)
> will be the only way to ensure stability.
>
> Looking forward I think we probably have one more iteration to add
> setting file attributes and so on. That will be 1.0 I suppose. Then comes
> RPCs. But at the rate I work on jCIFS don't hold your breath.
>
> Mike

You will want to dig into it before you try.  It may be that the driver
installation part is something we can skip, which would be great.  We are
a client, after all.  The problem is that you need to convert the data
into a format that the server can handle, and the expectation is that the
client's driver and the server's driver have done a handshake at some
point.

I don't know the RPC-based printing system as well as I'd like, but the
folks who do have assured me that it is one of the most awful bits of
kludged-up RPC manglement they've seen.

Good luck.

Chris -)-----