[jcifs] Why would auth work on one server and not on another?

eglass1 at comcast.net eglass1 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 11 22:30:00 EST 2003

> > 3.  (THIS IS A BIG ONE) Mozilla REALLY REALLY wants to try to authenticate
> > with my servlet (even though it isn't the nice automatic NTLM - it requires
> > me to enter my credentials)

I'd have to look at the Mozilla source, but it sounds like they are supplying
gathered credentials to SSPI, rather than using the default credential handle
(which authenticates using the current logged-in user).

> > Any suggestions on a 1.1 substitute for "UnicodeLittleUnmarked"? (Or will I
> > have to write some sort of byte converter, and then convert it to a String
> > with another encoder that is much more jdk1.1. friendly)?

You could see if "UTF16-LE" works.  According to this:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html

it is mapped directly to UnicodeLittleUnmarked, and UTF16-LE is one of the
encodings required to be supported in JDK 1.3+ (I think there was some question
as to whether the byte-order mark might be optional in UTF16-LE, rather than
definitely unmarked, which I'm guessing is why jCIFS uses UnicodeLittleUnmarked
instead of UTF16-LE).  Of course, that's no guarantee that it's supported in
1.1.

Eric