[jcifs] Acl Support

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 28 07:56:07 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:29:03 -0600
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 03:06:15PM -0500, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:59:42 +0100
> > Stefan Voelkel <Stefan.Voelkel at millenux.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > is there a way to modify ACL's via jcifs? If not are there plans to
> > > implement it? If not can you give my a hint what I have to read to
> > > implement this?
>
> Start with the SNIA CIFS Technical Reference.  That should provide a good
> foundation for understanding how ACLs work.  As Mike says, there are some

That document has stuff about ACLs? What section?

> SMBs that will fiddle Extended Attributes, but I doubt that those will be
> enough for full support.  The next thing to read is Luke K.C. Leighton's
> book DCE/RPC over SMB. See:  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/References.html for
> links.
>
> Note that rumor has it that The Open Group (http://www.opengroup.org/)
> will be releasing a lot of its DCE/RPC code (in C, I believe) under an
> Open Source license.  This code is not the same as MS-RPC, but it is close

Interesting. Where did you hear this and do you have any details?

> enough to be very useful.  Converting it all to Java would be a massive
> task, but the hope is that it will be readable enough that we can get some
> clues.

Well we wouldn't "convert" the code anyway. It's probably not a
"massive" amount of code actually. But the encrytped PDUs and layers
ontop of existing layers will require a significant bit of thinking if
we are going to maintain the quaility and simplicity of the code we have
now. It's probably a 3 month job to get the first rpcs to even work. But
three months is a long time these days.

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.