[jcifs] Acl Support

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Feb 28 07:29:03 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 03:06:15PM -0500, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:59:42 +0100
> Stefan Voelkel <Stefan.Voelkel at millenux.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there a way to modify ACL's via jcifs? If not are there plans to
> > implement it? If not can you give my a hint what I have to read to
> > implement this?

Start with the SNIA CIFS Technical Reference.  That should provide a good
foundation for understanding how ACLs work.  As Mike says, there are some
SMBs that will fiddle Extended Attributes, but I doubt that those will be
enough for full support.  The next thing to read is Luke K.C. Leighton's
book DCE/RPC over SMB. See:  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/References.html for
links.

Note that rumor has it that The Open Group (http://www.opengroup.org/)
will be releasing a lot of its DCE/RPC code (in C, I believe) under an
Open Source license.  This code is not the same as MS-RPC, but it is close
enough to be very useful.  Converting it all to Java would be a massive
task, but the hope is that it will be readable enough that we can get some
clues.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org