[jcifs] Acl Support

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Feb 28 09:40:43 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 03:56:07PM -0500, Michael B. Allen wrote:
:
> That document has stuff about ACLs? What section?

There is information on handling Extended Attributes and Security
Descriptors.  Foundation stuff...

> > SMBs that will fiddle Extended Attributes, but I doubt that those will be
> > enough for full support.  The next thing to read is Luke K.C. Leighton's
> > book DCE/RPC over SMB. See:  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/References.html for
> > links.
> >
> > Note that rumor has it that The Open Group (http://www.opengroup.org/)
> > will be releasing a lot of its DCE/RPC code (in C, I believe) under an
> > Open Source license.  This code is not the same as MS-RPC, but it is close
>
> Interesting. Where did you hear this and do you have any details?

Luke.  He announced it on the Samba-TNG mailing list (tng-technical).  The
details will be there, I assume.

> > enough to be very useful.  Converting it all to Java would be a massive
> > task, but the hope is that it will be readable enough that we can get some
> > clues.
>
> Well we wouldn't "convert" the code anyway. It's probably not a
> "massive" amount of code actually. But the encrytped PDUs and layers
> ontop of existing layers will require a significant bit of thinking if
> we are going to maintain the quaility and simplicity of the code we have
> now. It's probably a 3 month job to get the first rpcs to even work. But
> three months is a long time these days.

Yep.

Fortunately, the RPC stuff can be built as a completely separate layer and
just 'pass through' the SMB layer.  Samba doesn't do it this way, but
there has been a lot of discussion.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org