[jcifs] Timeout problem

Nick Newman nnewman at mltech.com
Tue Nov 19 08:50:17 EST 2002

Hi,

I am using jcifs to implement a simple method for arbitrary code to
authenticate users and passwords against an NT domain.  My code is
essentially just the following few lines, where "/FooBar" is a non-existent
file on the server.

         String url =
"smb://"+domain+";"+username+":"+password+"@"+server+"/FooBar";
         SmbFile f = new SmbFile( url );
         try {
                 f.exists();
                 // If we get here, the authentication succeeded
         }
         catch( SmbAuthException e ){
                 // authentication failed
         }

This seemed to work perfectly.

However, I eventually found that if I executed the snippet, then waited for
a while (using a "sleep") and then executed it again, the first attempt
succeeded (authenticated) while the second failed.  The important thing
seems to be the following message from the Log system:

Nov 18 14:31:15.164 - netbios socket closed
NbtSocket[addr=0.0.0.0<00>/146.137.96.48,port=139,localport=3273]

If I make the "sleep" short enough that this message does not appear, then
all is well.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can work around this problem?

I am using release 0.7.0b3, and cannot move to the latest release because
that apparently requires Java 1.4 which my customer doesn't want to use (yet).

Thanks in advance,
Nick