[jcifs] Any Support for Encrypted Transactions

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sun May 5 18:14:02 EST 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002 22:40:31 -0700 (PDT)
andy chernow <achernow at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello JCIFS Team,
>    I am creating an Java Client Application which
> communicates with a Samba server running on RedHat
> 7.2.  I have configured the Samba Server with SSL.  I
> need to have the transactions encrypted.  Is there a
> way to get the SmbFileOutputStream and
> SmbFileInputStream to communicate with a Samba Server
> with SSL?  I did notice the DES class and SmbSession
> so I am not sure if the tools are already right under
> my fingers.  I am a little lost on how I would do this
> with your package.  Any suggestions, directions, links
> or samples would be very much appreciated.
>
> I am using jcifs version 0.6.2.

This is just a guess but I would try to just get the javax.net.ssl
package (JSSE) from Sun and copy jcifs/netbios/NbtSocket.java to
jcifs/netbios/SSLNbtSocket.java but make it extent javax.net.ssl.SSLSocket
instead of plain java.net.Socket. Then add a property like
jcifs.smb.client.useSSL=true/false and have that switch the Socket type on
line 237 of jcifs/smb/SmbTransport.java (you can just change all instances
of NbtSocket to just Socket to make the code generic). Provided you get
all the certificates worked out and all that crap, that's it! Easy :~)

May The Source be with you.