[jcifs] Personal Java?

Michael B Allen mballen at erols.com
Mon Jan 14 21:52:26 EST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:29:11 -0600
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> I am trying to get jCIFS to run on a palmtop...

Uhm, cool :~)

> The Java engine is Insignia Solutions 'Jeode' runtime.  I *know* that
> "Personal Java" is stripped down, but the error I get is that it cannot find
> java.lang.LinkedList.

We don't use LinkedList. I think you're looking at one of the examples. Try an
example that doesn't use it or just convert it to java.util.Vector.

> Ouch.  I searched the entire system and found a couple of JAR files (one
> called 'core.jar') which I added to the classpath with no change in the

List the files in the jar with $ jar -tf core.jar.

> results.  Is PersonalJava really so small that simple things like the Linked
> Lists would be missing!?

Yes. The LinkedList class is from the newish libs and tied into the Collections
API. Probably one of the first things I'd drop.

> I would really like to get jCIFS running on this platform.  Any clues would
> be helpful.

There are probably two issues. One, is that you will run into a problem
with Unicode. There is a little spot where we try to load Unicode even
if you specify useUnicode=false. Someone else ran into this issue trying
to use jCIFS with j9 (IBMs little java rt). He just had to make a "fake"
unicode enoding routine. I can try to dig up the post. Two, there are
likely classes used from the Sun libs that are not provided by the
various jars. These classes are in the rt.jar in the jdk directory. You
could copy that over but it might be a little large. You could try and
strip it down by unrolling it (jar -xf rt.jar) deleting all the stuff
you know you dont need and then roll it up again (jar -cf rt.jar rtdir).

I'm sure it will work. It will just take a little hacking. Sounds like
great fun though.

May The Source be with you.