[Fwd: Re: [jcifs] no name with type 0x00 with no scope for host]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.org
Wed Feb 20 14:21:57 EST 2002

This was meant to go to the whole list.

Sorry.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [jcifs] no name with type 0x00 with no scope for host
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:20:50 -0600
From: "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.org>
To: "Allen, Michael B (RSCH)" <Michael_B_Allen at ml.com>

Mike,

I think that it's clear that you and I are in full agreement on what
*should* happen.  Somehow the discussion got off track.  I don't actually
know what jCIFS does inside, just what is supposed to happen on the wire and
what I saw in the error message.

My confusion comes from the original error message reported.  Going back
to that...

> ashish wrote:
>
> HI,
> I have been getting this exception message for a windows XP machine.
>
> java.net.UnknownHostException: no name with type 0x00 with no scope for
> host 10.0.100.114
>         at jcifs.netbios.NbtAddress.getAllByAddress(NbtAddress.java:481)
>         at jcifs.netbios.NbtAddress.getAllByAddress(NbtAddress.java:437,
> Compiled Code)

Why would we ever get that?

If jCIFS is doing a getAllByAddress() then it is probably sending a NODE
STATUS REQUEST.  That's how you would get 'all' names given the address.

My best guess, given the information that I had, was that the <machine><00>
name was being fed to getAllByAddress().  The wildcard name would not
generate the error above, as demonstrated by the fact that the "nbtstat -A
<ipaddr>" worked just fine.

That's why I asked Ashish for more information on what he's trying to do.

So, either getAllByAddress() is somehow being told to do the query using
<machine><00>, or it expects that at least one name in the returned list
will be of type <00>, and it's not finding that name.

...or, as you said, he's using an outdated jCIFS.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org