[jcifs] Using jcifs to validate users against NT

Pugsley, Jason Jason.Pugsley at team.telstra.com
Wed Apr 3 14:29:20 EST 2002

Allen,

Here's a link that explains it all. http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html
It's the same authentication system that jcifs uses to authenticate/connect
to a file server, with some changes to make it work over HTTP. It's a
Microsoft thing to make logging on with IE to IIS (Internet Information
Server) more transparent. The NTLM authentication that IE uses is a little
more secure than, say, the BASIC method which only uses base64 to encode the
username and password. NTLM auth uses the same handshake as you use between
a jcifs application and the file server, only it's from IE to the file
server via a web server. As far as IE is concerned the web server and file
server are the same box as it's designed to be between IE and IIS on an NT
box. Thus IE authenticates to the web server just as if it's a pc client
connecting to an SMB file server.

In my case the web server isn't on an NT box - it's Solaris with a Java
based web server - Tomcat. That's what made jcifs the perfect choice - it's
a 100% Java solution.

When the IE browser connects to the web server, it expects to get the
encryptionKey back (the web servers sets up an smb session to the domain
controller or file server and gets an encryptionKey) so that it can encode
the passwords then send them back to the web server. Then the web server
authenticates the username and encrypted passwords back to the domain
controller/file server (in the same smb session so the encrypted passwords
are valid for the encryptionKey we got at the start).

Because IE is doing the encryption on the user's PC, we never see the plain
password, only the encrypted versions, hence the need to modify some of the
jcifs code.

I don't think this would be of much use to anyone else unless they are
working on code for a web server, web proxy, or other HTTP based service
where NTLM is used.

My computer is a bit too weak to run Mozilla, so I don't know whether or not
it can perform NTLM authentication. There's no reason why someone couldn't
add it though if it is missing that feature. I guess I could change my
Tomcat code to fall-back to BASIC authentication if NTLM isn't recognised
and pass the plain username/password combination to the domain
controller/file server.

Regards,

Jason.