[jcifs] Web interface around JCIFS?

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Sat Sep 1 05:11:23 EST 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 02:31:59PM -0400, Chris Shenton wrote:
> > If you do it correctly, I bet it would be pretty popular because people
> > could access their CIFS shares over the web through the firewall. And
> > it would be comparitivly safe because there's no such thing as a buffer
> > overrun in Java of course you still need a decent secure authentication
> > mechanism!
>
> Exactly my intent.  For my project, we'll be using SecurID tokens to
> auth, and doing everything over SSL.

Heeeey, that sounds good!

> > Servlets are pretty trivial especially if you know the http protocol
> > and about headers and such. One interesting thing about servlet
> > engines though, is I think they use separate class loaders for each
> > servlet instance. If so, this will create a separate jCIFS client
> > instance for each which is a terrible waste of it's multiplexing IO
> > capabilities. Something to be aware of.
>
> I've done some servlets, and still don't quite have a handle on what
> frameworks to use to give me the MVC separation -- spewing HTML from
> within Java is way too fugly.

I think JSP is supposed to provide this absraction but I don't know a lot
about it (or modern web programming in general). I think it would be great
to be able to customize the display though. Consitering the content
doesn't change much (directory listing, mime type icons a la Internet
Neigborhood), you could just specify a template file or boiler plates
that define the look? You hardly need anything elaborate like JSP for that.

> IIRC from the O'Reilly book on Servlets, the servlet engine creates a
> single instance of each class but then runs multiple threads to handle
> each connection.  Should scale a *lot* better than the Perl CGI www2smb.

Oh, ok, then maybe they don't use different class loaders. The key
problem here is you want to take advantage of the sharing of transports
and sessions(e.g. if two threads connect to the same host, their transport
is shared for reasons of scalable performace) which requires that certain
static methods be used. If different class loaders are used to isolate
the servilet instances that breaks that. It will still work but you
potentially throwing away a big performance boost.

--
Wow a memory-mapped fork bomb! Now what on earth did you expect? - lkml