[jcifs] Web interface around JCIFS?

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Sat Sep 1 04:31:59 EST 2001

"Michael B. Allen" <mballen at erols.com> writes:

> Works great but the Exception handling for 0.6 will really be
> necessary here because as it is the script will put any Exceptions
> that occur _inside_ the doc that you download (oops).

Snicker, I saw www2smb do this too -- not with errors but with the
connection info my (older) version of smbclient put out.  Something to
watch out for, thanks for the tip.

> If you do it correctly, I bet it would be pretty popular because people
> could access their CIFS shares over the web through the firewall. And
> it would be comparitivly safe because there's no such thing as a buffer
> overrun in Java of course you still need a decent secure authentication
> mechanism!

Exactly my intent.  For my project, we'll be using SecurID tokens to
auth, and doing everything over SSL.

> Servlets are pretty trivial especially if you know the http protocol
> and about headers and such. One interesting thing about servlet
> engines though, is I think they use separate class loaders for each
> servlet instance. If so, this will create a separate jCIFS client
> instance for each which is a terrible waste of it's multiplexing IO
> capabilities. Something to be aware of.

I've done some servlets, and still don't quite have a handle on what
frameworks to use to give me the MVC separation -- spewing HTML from
within Java is way too fugly.

IIRC from the O'Reilly book on Servlets, the servlet engine creates a
single instance of each class but then runs multiple threads to handle
each connection.  Should scale a *lot* better than the Perl CGI www2smb.

Thanks for the feedback!