[distcc] Mac OS X Leopard

Michael Witten mfwitten at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 22 20:55:11 GMT 2008

Hello,

I recently tried to build distcc 3.1 on Mac OS X Leopard (PPC).
At first I did no special configuration, so that the configure
script chose Apple's builtin /usr/bin/python2.5 to build the
include-server module.

Because Apple's builtin /usr/bin/python2.5 is universal, the
include-server module is built with '-arch i386 -arch ppc',
and this seems to conflict with the -MD flag (even when
--disable-dependency-tracking):

    gcc-4.0: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags

I simply removed -MD from the CFLAGS in the Makefile. However,
there's another problem: the include-server module seems to
link with the object code already produced by other targets
(my guess really), and those are only built for the native
architecture. Consequently, one architecture can't be satisfied
(remember the '-arch i386 -arch ppc').

Luckily, I have a spare python lying around, and I ended up solving
my issues by using it (I assume because it is only native ppc):

	PYTHON=/usr/local/bin/python2.6 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local && make && sudo make install

However, that's not a very satisfying solution.

Sincerely,
Michael Witten

P.S.
I'm not on the list, so please Cc me if necessary.