[distcc] Recursion errors

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Mar 19 22:54:09 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Urban Peter <peterurban at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>  I'm getting "CRITICAL! distcc seems to have invoked
>  itself recursively!" errors, after installing distcc
>  (2.18) packages on some machines with Debian/Etch &
>  Ubuntu Gutsy. (I have ccache installed also, which
>  seems to be working allright.) After setting up the
>  Debian specific config files distccd is started and
>  runs as 4 times separate processes (??!!) as
>  "/usr/bin/distccd --pid-file=/var/run/distccd.pid
>  --log-file=/var/log/distccd.log --daemon --allow
>  127.0.0.1 --allow 192.168.1.0/24"
>  This seems to be allright if I want it to listen on
>  all the ports. (but why the 4 separate processes?)

There are 4 processes so that the server can run up to four jobs in parallel.

>  I have also set up the variables as follows:
>  #for distcc:
>   export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=40
>
>   export DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost secunda granit hydra"
>
>   export PATH="/usr/local/distcc/bin:${PATH}"
>  #for ccache:
>   export PATH="/usr/local/ccache/bin:${PATH}"
>
>  Then also there are the simlinks:
>  in /usr/local/ccache/bin:
>  c++ -> /usr/bin/ccache
>  cc -> /usr/bin/ccache
>  g++ -> /usr/bin/ccache
>  gcc -> /usr/bin/ccache
>
>  in /usr/local/distcc/bin:
>  c++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
>  cc -> /usr/bin/distcc
>  g++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
>  gcc -> /usr/bin/distcc
>
>  Did I miss something ? Extensive use of google did not
>  help. Could you help a bit ?

The question is, what is the overall $PATH setting, both in the
environment where you are trying to compile and on the server.

distccd should be started with neither distcc or ccache on the path.

I think the client should have ccache then distcc but it may be the
other way round.

If either of them is listed more than once you will get this error.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>