[distcc] Recursion errors

Urban Peter peterurban at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 14:00:58 GMT 2008

Hello,
I'm getting "CRITICAL! distcc seems to have invoked
itself recursively!" errors, after installing distcc
(2.18) packages on some machines with Debian/Etch &
Ubuntu Gutsy. (I have ccache installed also, which
seems to be working allright.) After setting up the
Debian specific config files distccd is started and
runs as 4 times separate processes (??!!) as
"/usr/bin/distccd --pid-file=/var/run/distccd.pid
--log-file=/var/log/distccd.log --daemon --allow
127.0.0.1 --allow 192.168.1.0/24"
This seems to be allright if I want it to listen on
all the ports. (but why the 4 separate processes?)
I have also set up the variables as follows:
#for distcc:
 export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=40

 export DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost secunda granit hydra"

 export PATH="/usr/local/distcc/bin:${PATH}"
#for ccache:
 export PATH="/usr/local/ccache/bin:${PATH}"

Then also there are the simlinks:
in /usr/local/ccache/bin:
c++ -> /usr/bin/ccache
cc -> /usr/bin/ccache
g++ -> /usr/bin/ccache
gcc -> /usr/bin/ccache

in /usr/local/distcc/bin:
c++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
cc -> /usr/bin/distcc
g++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
gcc -> /usr/bin/distcc

Did I miss something ? Extensive use of google did not
help. Could you help a bit ?

Tahnks!

Peter