[distcc] make -j N sometimes fails after a few minutes with distcc

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon May 30 06:57:34 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 10:51 +0400, Grigorio V. Moshkin wrote:
> Thank you Jean!
>
> I supposed something similar but was not sure.
> My makefile is generated from MPC/MWC project
>
> (http://www.ociweb.com/product/mpc/)
>
> and does not contain all the dependencies, you're right. Also, some
> source *.cpp files did contain few errors to that moment. So, make may
> fail.
>
> The only I supposed else is make MUST wait for all the jobs to finish,
> prior to exit itself.
> But the parent make process exits while childs go on (distributed)
> compilation. And I see make log file, whitout an error, while error
> actually occurs in childs, but I DO NOT see compilation diagnostics from
> childs.

You're redirecting the make output into a file, but the file doesn't get
the compilation errors?  That's strange.  Is this on Windows?

> As the conclusion, you see, I do not know how to adjust make/distcc to
> be USEFUL for distributed compilation with possible compile errors in
> *.cpp files.

If there's a source file error, the distcc client won't exit until
compilation has finished (that is, failed) and it has written out the
error message.  From make's point of view it is no different to a local
compiler.

> I want to see all the compiler errors (from all distributed
> agents), not make confuse, inspired by these ones.
> Do you know how to reach it?

I don't understand, can you rephrase that?