[distcc] make -j N sometimes fails after a few minutes with distcc

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Fri May 27 16:46:05 GMT 2005

Hi Grigorio,

> I use distcc 2.18.3 on my Linux box as coordinator and distccd running
> on 4 Cygwin boxes as servers.
>
> Sometimes all work well. But sometimes my command
>
> $ make -j 8 CC = "distcc ..." CXX="distcc ..." > out.log 2>&1
>
> fails after minutes of distributed compilation with log message:
>
> cp: could not stat for `/home/grigorio/.../libGslServerManagerS.so':
> No  such file or directory
> and etc.
>
> Note, distributed compilation goes on actually! I see it via
> distccmon-text. Also I see the number of object files *.o actually
> increases! But compilation stops soon. And if I restart make,
> compilation starts well-formed for a few minutes... And all things
> above  do repeat!

I have noticed that when compiling with multiple concurrent jobs, make
may take some time to stop after an error has occured. I guess that each
job has to finish before make can return.

> What's the matter with my make/distcc?

Nothing here indicates that distcc is responsible for the problem. It is
cp failing, not even a compilation or linking.

Have you tried compiling the same code without distcc? Not all projects
can be built with -j N. Try compiling with -j N but without distcc, and
see if the errors vanish or nor.

--
Jean Delvare