[distcc] Re: distccmon-text question: the answer!

Victor Norman vtnpgh at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 15:28:15 GMT 2004

All,

I discovered the reason that distccmon-text does not
show anything when you run it on a different machine
from where you are running the client.  The reason is
that there is a check in mon.c's
dcc_mon_check_orphans() that checks to see if a state
file ("binstate_<pid>") corresponds to a running task.
 If not, the state file is assumed to be an orphan, so
it is ignored.

That's why you don't see anything on a different
machine -- the task does not exist there.

(Note: this information could be placed in the FAQ
page where there is a note about the monitoring
programs not working well over NFS.)

Vic