[distcc] Lock before preprocess?

Jake McGuire jake at boom.net
Wed Aug 25 01:27:14 GMT 2004

What's the rationale for getting the CPU lock before starting to
preprocess?

Our situation was admittedly somewhat pathological, but in any case we
were seeing preprocessing taking 40%-80% of the time to compile a
particular file.  We also had far more jobs scheduled than we had slots
in our hosts file, which was exacerbating the slow preprocessing as it
looks like distcc attempts to obtain (num_jobs - num_cpus) * num_cpus
locks per second.  Which was pushing 5,000 at times, and this over NFS.

Obviously we've got some internal IT issues to resolve, but is there a
reason why getting the lock can't be moved to after the preprocessing
step?

-jake