[distcc] distcc problems...

ahasty at chiaro.com ahasty at chiaro.com
Thu Mar 18 15:38:34 GMT 2004

Gents,

Last week, I left with the task of changing the DISTCC_DIR variable to
live on a directory that is local to the machine that the distcc was
running. I.E. /tmp/$USER/.distcc

Here are the results of my investigation.

1) It does appear that our network is causing some problems, but getting
these isolated has been difficult, as our admin has been away on
vacation. :-)

2) All of the following errors have gone away.
distccmon-text[10782] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Stale NFS
file handle
or
distccmon-text[960] (dcc_mon_read_state) Warning: wrong magic number:
/home/ahasty/.distcc/state/binstate_12563

3) The only remaining error is
distcc[22547] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Resource
temporarily unavailable
This error may be as a result of (1)

When our network guy returns, I'm going to try and figure out what the
real issue is, and see if I can't get the test case to run cleanly.

I think that a note in a FAQ needs to be made about the fact that having
the DISTCC_DIR local to the box running distcc is a good idea.

Thanks for you help and direction.
Later,

Alan Hasty
Chiaro Networks.