[distcc] Cygwin hosted Linux-target gcc binary

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Mar 18 22:43:58 GMT 2004

Cosmin Pop wrote:
> (I'd like to be able to provide a link to a Cygwin-hosted Linux-target gcc
> binary that people can simply download and use. Please contact me if you can
> provide one. -- mbp) - from http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html
>
>   I don't know if this is of any help to you, but there is a topic in the
> Gentoo forums that discusses this subject. The idea was to install distccd
> on a Windows machine through Cygwin. They even provide a tarball along with
> full instructions... The link is:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=66930

Thanks for posting that link.  The cygrunsrv instructions seem useful.

Also thanks for pointing out that the "Using different platforms?"
entry in the FAQ describes exactly what I'm working on,
I didn't realize that was in there.

The script I'm writing automates the rest of the procedure,
in particular, building binutils, gcc, and glibc, for
all popular versions (and this is harder than it sounds!)
on any Posix-compatible system that has gnu utilities installed.

You can see an early version at http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-pre8c.tar.gz
but it's not well documented yet, and I'm still working on
getting gcc-2.95.3 to build under Cygwin.

Maybe once it's working, the FAQ could be updated to point to
http://kegel.com/crosstool
- Dan