[distcc] distcc problems...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Mar 18 16:24:50 GMT 2004

ahasty at chiaro.com wrote:
> Last week, I left with the task of changing the DISTCC_DIR variable to
> live on a directory that is local to the machine that the distcc was
> running. I.E. /tmp/$USER/.distcc
>
> Here are the results of my investigation.
>
> 1) It does appear that our network is causing some problems, but getting
> these isolated has been difficult, as our admin has been away on
> vacation. :-)
>
> 2) All of the following errors have gone away.
> distccmon-text[10782] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Stale NFS
> file handle
> or
> distccmon-text[960] (dcc_mon_read_state) Warning: wrong magic number:
> /home/ahasty/.distcc/state/binstate_12563

Yay!

> 3) The only remaining error is
> distcc[22547] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Resource
> temporarily unavailable
> This error may be as a result of (1)
>
> When our network guy returns, I'm going to try and figure out what the
> real issue is, and see if I can't get the test case to run cleanly.

Good luck...

> I think that a note in a FAQ needs to be made about the fact that having
> the DISTCC_DIR local to the box running distcc is a good idea.

IMHO this also means that using files to share state information
is probably only going to get us so far.  It may be time to think
of using a daemon to do what has been done with state files in
DISTCC_DIR so far.  Yeah, this would be harder to use, but for a
few installations, it might be a worthwhile option.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com