[distcc] distcc & ccache prob

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Thu Jul 10 19:23:11 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 06:28 pm, Wayne Davison wrote:
> If CCACHE_PREFIX is still distcc and /usr/local/bin is still on your
> PATH, then distcc will rightly generate a recursion error like that.
>
> Also, using CCACHE_PREFIX is not a very good way to use distcc.  I
> recommend using a masquerade dir of symlinks pointing at distcc instead
> (like your ccache symlinks above, but in a directory after the ccache
> symlinks).  I recommend moving your ccache symlinks into
> /usr/lib/ccache/bin and putting the distcc symlinks into
> /usr/lib/distcc/bin.  At that point you can choose what to run by just
> manipulating the PATH setting.

Let me see if I got this right. :-) There is a way to masq distcc (as
documented below), what I don't understand is how to masq ccache with distcc.

I have no CCACHE or DIST_CC env variables.

$ which gcc
/usr/libexec/distcc/bin/gcc

Gives me my masquerade version of distcc

$ ls -l /usr/libexec/distcc/bin/gcc
/usr/libexec/distcc/bin/gcc -> /usr/bin/distcc*

$ cat $HOME/.distcc/hosts
cluster00
cluster01
cluster02
cluster03
cluster04
cluster05
cluster06

Got my distcc hosts setup as above.

$ which ccache
/usr/bin/ccache

Got ccache in my path, so I normally do this:

$ make CC="ccache gcc" -j10

The works great for most things, but as discussed on this list libtool can be
a pain dealing with the "ccache gcc" thing.

This thread caught my attention because of the ability to masq ccache. I've
done this with a shell script in $HOME/bin/gcc and having it early in my
path,  and looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/bin/ccache gcc $*

Is there a better was to masq ccache and distcc without using a shell script
as above?

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at mn-linux.org>          | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500