[distcc] distcc & ccache prob

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 10 21:32:04 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 02:23:11PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Let me see if I got this right. :-) There is a way to masq distcc (as
> documented below), what I don't understand is how to masq ccache with distcc.

You create a separate directory of ccache symlinks and put it on the
PATH before the distcc symlink-dir:

    export PATH="/usr/libexec/ccache/bin:/usr/libexec/distcc/bin:$PATH"

As long as you have a "gcc" symlink (for instance) to /usr/bin/ccache in
that ccache masq dir, it will run ccache first, which runs distcc, which
runs the real compiler.  You can then control which masqerading programs
to use by just tweaking the PATH (and leave CC unset or set to "gcc").

..wayne..