[distcc] distcc & ccache prob

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 9 23:28:40 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:09:47PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> /usr/local/bin/{cc,gcc,...} all point to /usr/bin/ccache
> CCACHE_PREFIX is set to distcc.
> DISTCC_HOSTS is one non-local host.
> so theoretically everything should go through ccache and then distcc and
> be compiled on the remote host ...
> in fact, distcc gets confused by the shadow dir.

You should set DISTCC_VERBOSE=1 and see what is actually happening.  If
you can't figure it out from that, report the actual error you get.

> if i run "make CC=distcc", i get a recursion error.

If CCACHE_PREFIX is still distcc and /usr/local/bin is still on your
PATH, then distcc will rightly generate a recursion error like that.

Also, using CCACHE_PREFIX is not a very good way to use distcc.  I
recommend using a masquerade dir of symlinks pointing at distcc instead
(like your ccache symlinks above, but in a directory after the ccache
symlinks).  I recommend moving your ccache symlinks into
/usr/lib/ccache/bin and putting the distcc symlinks into
/usr/lib/distcc/bin.  At that point you can choose what to run by just
manipulating the PATH setting.

..wayne..