[distcc] ncpus returns 0

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Jun 12 04:15:04 GMT 2003

On 12 Jun 2003, Sean MacLennan <seanm at seanm.ca> wrote:
> Martin Pool writes:
>  > What kernel version is this, by the way?   Does that ever work on ARM?
>
> I am running 2.4.19-rmk6-nw1. I also tried it on good'ol 2.2.16-sam1.
>
> I looked up the sysconf call and it is implemented in glibc. For
> Linux, the call just opens /proc/cpuinfo and counts the number of
> lines starting with "processor". However, below is the output from
> /proc/cpuinfo on the 'Winder:
>
>   Processor       : StrongARM-110 rev 3 (v4l)
>   BogoMIPS        : 185.95
>   Features        : swp half 26bit fastmult
>
>   Hardware        : Rebel-NetWinder
>   Revision        : 59ff
>   Serial          : 0000000000000ad8
>

> processor vs Processor. Close, but no cigar. A strncasecmp would solve
> this problem.
>
> Since the /proc/cpuinfo information is generated in
> arch/arm/kernel/setup.c, I would expect all ARM based systems to have
> this problem.

Thanks for looking.

That's definitely either a kernel or glibc bug.  I'm not sure which --
you should probably report it to both teams and let them fight it
out. :-) :-)  Please do send a note to the maintainer.

(I guess I would say it's probably an arm kernel bug, since it's
different to other architectures.)