[distcc] Re: xinetd 2.3.11-1.8.0

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue May 20 16:25:06 GMT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Jeff wrote:

> Martin Pool wrote:
> > Can you have a look in the log on the server for messages from either
> > xinetd or distccd?
>
> I think I found it:
>
> May 19 12:09:59 cow xinetd[918]: service/protocol combination not in
> /etc/services: distcc/tcp
> May 19 12:10:00 cow xinetd[918]: xinetd Version 2.3.11 started with
> libwrap loadavg options compiled in.
> May 19 12:10:00 cow xinetd[918]: Started working: 1 available service
> May 19 12:10:02 cow xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
>

> I just added the following to /etc/services on the machines with the
> xinetd patch and they now seem to be compiling just fine:
>
> distcc		3632/tcp			#distcc
>

> I poked around on RedHat's site a bit to try and find out why this is
> now required but I couldn't really come up with anything.

The xinetd packages is always replacing /etc/services so that Red Hat can
update the file. It would be nice if there was a /etc/services.d ;-)

However, since distcc has a registered port with IANA, I would guess that
in the not-so-distant future distcc would be part of Red Hat's list ?

Maybe adding a report on bugzilla would get the proper attention.

«Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors»