[distcc] Re: Finding peers: zeroconf/rendezvous?

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 26 17:29:17 GMT 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:56:49AM +0000, Paul_Donovan at scee.net wrote:
> We are not using it currently because of a few problems (the main one
> being that if the remote machines weren't available, the localhost
> ended up doing 8 cc processes, which absolutely kills a Cygwin
> machine).

With the new '/' syntax that limits the processes per host, I believe
that this is fixed.  For instance, if you set -j8 and part of your
DISTCC_HOSTS list contains "localhost/2", the 6 distcc invocations that
don't get a slot (because the remotes are down and local is full) should
all sleep waiting for their turn.

Hmm, I wonder if setting the -j value to 1 higher than the total of all
the '/' limit values would speed things up or slow things down (since
there would be a pre-forked distcc always waiting around looking for a
slot)?

..wayne..