[distcc] Re: Re: Finding peers: zeroconf/rendezvous?

Bret Mogilefsky mogul at gelatinous.com
Wed Feb 26 14:30:50 GMT 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:56:49 +0000, Paul_Donova wrote:
> Not that there's any reason to not believe Brett, but I can confirm that
> PS2 developers have to endure long build times :-) The project I'm
> working on involves nearly 20 people having to build 380,000 lines of
> code, numerous times a day. The build on dual Xeon 1.7GHz machines takes
> nearly 30 minutes.  That's why I've been looking at distcc myself.

Heheh, thanks for the support.

> We are not using it
> currently because of a few problems (the main one being that if the
> remote machines weren't available, the localhost ended up doing 8 cc
> processes, which absolutely kills a Cygwin machine).

After mDNS is in I'd want to have "make" aware of available clients so it
can supply its own "-j" parameter to avoid the situation you describe
(starting too many simultaneous jobs for the number of available
machines).  That could be done with a simple wrapper; maybe that's
something else to supply with distcc?  =)

Regards,
Bret