[distcc] Re: newcome (and a question)

Ben Elliston bje at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 01:18:00 GMT 2002

  Cristian> Let me explain. I have this nice little cluster with a few
  Cristian> (dual+bigmem) machines in it. I have this little numerics
  Cristian> lab with a lot of students and too few machines. I'd like
  Cristian> to config distcc as main compiler on the lab, but have it
  Cristian> point (among others) to a distccd (or something else) on
  Cristian> the front node in the cluster, which would use distcc
  Cristian> (instead of gcc) as its compiler, and the config of this
  Cristian> distcc would freely point to the distccd's on the nodes of
  Cristian> the cluster :-)

This problem must already have been solved by now.  What you want is a
TCP-based load balancing proxy: that accepts a connection and passes
you through to a machine with a suitable load.  This is an identical
problem to load-balancing HTTP servers.  I don't know much about this
area, but I'm sure it has been solved.

I'm also inclined to think that this is not distcc's job, but I really
like your thinking.  :-)

Cheers, Ben