[distcc] newcome (and a question)

Cristian Tibirna ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
Fri Dec 13 00:39:00 GMT 2002

Hello

First things first: 1G of thanks to Martin Pool for this little marvelous tool
(distcc).

Second, I just subscribed the mailing list (as I started to use distcc today
:-) and I have a question:
- did somebody think of a configuration in which distcc gets proxyed through a
firewall ?

Let me explain. I have this nice little cluster with a few (dual+bigmem)
machines in it. I have this little numerics lab with a lot of students and
too few machines. I'd like to config distcc as main compiler on the lab, but
have it point (among others) to a distccd (or something else) on the front
node in the cluster, which would use distcc (instead of gcc) as its compiler,
and the config of this distcc would freely point to the distccd's on the
nodes of the cluster :-)

This way, a student would get to use the powerhouse for compilation, but
without need to login to it, neither for me to setup nfs for it.

Whadayathink? Did anybody did this already?

(this has powerful potential ramifications on grid computing - let's use
buzzwords while we're at it :-)

--
Cristian Tibirna				(1-418-) 656-2131 / 4340
  Université Laval - Québec, CAN ... http://www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
  Professionnel de recherche GIREF ... ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
  Étudiant PhD Génie Chimique ... tibirna at gch.ulaval.ca