[distcc] Re: newcome (and a question)

Cristian Tibirna ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
Fri Dec 13 01:32:01 GMT 2002

Le Jeudi, 12 Décembre 2002 20:17, Ben Elliston a écrit:

> This problem must already have been solved by now.  What you want is a
> TCP-based load balancing proxy: that accepts a connection and passes
> you through to a machine with a suitable load.  This is an identical
> problem to load-balancing HTTP servers.  I don't know much about this
> area, but I'm sure it has been solved.

Yeah, I was thinking of some sort of round-robin on a port-forwarding firewall
rule, but:
1) I'm not sure this is possible with the iptables of today :-)
2) More than just round-robin is needed.

Load-balancing is very much the affair of distcc :-) My first idea was hacking
distccd to launch distcc as its compiler but this would involve:

a) modif distccd so that it launches (configurably) distcc underneath _and_
that it takes a different list of nodes - and _make sure_ it's different from
the "primary" list, on which _this_ distccd_ exists too.
b) make it possible that distccds that are second level leaves pass load
information through the second level distcc (that I mention in a) above) to
the first level distccd that is able to make a sum or a mean or something.
c) because of b), add some mechanism that lets a distccd be loaded
preferentially (based on a config parameter) instead of equally to the other
distccds of its level.

Anyways, I'm dreaming here, and I definitely didn't even look at the code very
much so I first ask then I will look by myself :-)

Thanks a lot
--
Cristian Tibirna				(1-418-) 656-2131 / 4340
  Laval University - Quebec, CAN ... http://www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
  Research profesional at GIREF ... ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
  PhD Student - Chemical Engng ... tibirna at gch.ulaval.ca